Sunday, September 4, 2011

AXHP 988

I have finally gotten rid of the absolute last physical remnant of my first marriage - my license plates.

I didn't have a car until shortly after I was married for the first time in January 2006. My ex-husband drove his car into the ground, namely by never getting an oil change.  My sister-in-law's father was selling his 1995 Sonata for dirt cheap so I decided to buy it to save my ex from having to take the bus an hour and a half each way to work.

I loved my little Sonata. It was purple, in perfect shape and had only 120,000KM on the odometer.

My ex came with me when I went to register for plates.  I was hoping to get a plate number that was cool, or at least that I could easily remember.

The branch of the MTO (DMV for my Yankee friends) I visited had the unfortunate series of AXHP.  My ex suggested I look through the stack to find a number that I liked. I pulled out 988, because I like the number 8 and they didn't have the 888 plate available.

And now 5 1/2 years later, I went back to the MTO and handed them in. I gave my car to my brother last week. He needed one and I just don't use it anymore. And with our plans for a baby, we want to buy an SUV (looks like it will be a Hyundai Tuscon!).

When I handed them in, the clerk kept asking me if I was certain I wanted to do it. Yup. Take 'em, don't need 'em.

"If you give these back, you can never have that plate number EVER AGAIN!"

I assured him I really didn't care about the plate number.

"So you're SURE you want to return these?"

YES GOVERNMENT DRONE, I AM SURE.

I am really not going to lose any sleep over never having this plate number again.  I came up with the mnemonic device "All Xrays Harm Puppies" in order to remember it.  Seriously, my heart is not breaking over this.

The clerk seemed especially attached to my plates because he asked me a THIRD time if I was sure.

Ladies and gentlemen, our tax dollars hard at work.

I signed a piece of paper that declared I understood my grave decision in releasing the plates from my ownership and they will be forever locked in a dark room with no food or water. Yeah yeah, just give me my refund assholes so I can get back to work.

Less the administration fee, I'm getting a cheque for $20.85 in 6-8 weeks. Yeeee haw!!!

So long AXHP 988. Thanks for taking me all around Toronto and surrounding GTA, to and from Niagara, and to and from Cleveland.  Oh and thanks most of all for nearly running over my ex husband. That's the greatest gift of all. ;)

2 comments:

  1. OK....I have been one of your devoted blog readers for some time and I don't recall trips to Ohio and I don't remember you describing almost running over your ex (I'm sure I would have remembered that one)

    So glad to hear you are contemplating motherhood. As a empty nester mother I can tell you all of the wonderful stories of being a mother because I have conveniently blocked out the not so wonderful stories. If you need any rose coloured advice, please feel free to ask!!

    Sue

    www.canadianmothermusings@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The big trip to Cleveland happened in the summer of 2010: http://onwardshegoes.blogspot.com/2010/06/staycation-2010.html

    And while I never blogged about trying to run over my ex, it did happen one cold night after I had found him reading all my journals. I ran out of the apartment and jumped into my car. He followed me and stood in front of the car begging me to come back. I told him if he didn't move, I would run him over. He didn't move, so I applied the gas. And that bugger jumped out of the way.

    I suppose I should be thankful I didn't actually hit him, as that would have likely turned into quite a mess. However, given the fact he used to beat me up, I think had I hit him, it would have been a fair retribution.

    ReplyDelete