Wednesday, May 9, 2012

But He Was So Hot In My Head

I'm responsible for ordering software at work through a third-party reseller. My rep Standley (yes, his parents put a "d" where it didn't belong) is totally awesome and helpful and has a super smooth, dare I say sexy, telephone voice. I always enjoy placing orders with him because his voice is so nice AND he laughs at all my jokes.

In my mind, I imagined him to be about my age with blonde hair, blue eyes, fit and wearing a snappy suit with an equally snappy tie every day.

We've often talked about our personal life, so he knows about when I got married and now that I'm expecting. He shared the story of his daughter being born at home, and what an amazing experience it was for him and his wife.

Recently, his office moved to using Lync, for their telecom solution which makes bugging him for follow up on software orders so much easier. Lync is like MSN chat on steroids. We've been using Lync for about a year now so it's awesome when I can contact people outside of my organization.  One of the many features Lync offers is video calling.

So when Standley initiated a video call today, I was excited to finally put a face to the voice I've been talking to for almost two years. I also didn't think twice to answer it, even though I was working from home in my PJs, wearing my old glasses, with total bed head. It's my buddy Standley after all. I KNOW HIM.

Yeah, I don't know him because the guy on the other end wasn't the guy in my head. The guy on the other end looked like this:



Yup. That's the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. And that is also Standley. Seriously, I think Matt Groening knows Standley and created the character in his spitting image.

I don't think I have ever been that disappointed in seeing someone for the first time. Actually, I do remember a guy I met online back in like 2002 who had a great photo and was awesome to talk to on the phone, but when we met in person, his forehead was a big bubble. Truly a BIG BUBBLE HEAD. So big that I couldn't stop staring at it. I just could not figure out how in all of his pictures, there was no bubble. Maybe he was a master at an early version of Photoshop.

I'm sad I know what Standley looks like. I want this guy back:

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I know exactly what you mean. I am doing licensing at work now, and deal with all these guys from different customers. Especially one specific customer in California. I talk to about 5 different guys from there. I imagine every single one to be hot. I would hate to know if that's wrong. I wouldn't be able to give the same customer service!

    ReplyDelete