Monday, August 16, 2010

BFF Summit

Blondo & Jelly requested a special meeting with The Comedian. As far as Blondo was concerned, he wasn't real until she met and inspected him. So she'd been referring to him as "The Comedian". Seriously, she'd do air quotes whenever she said his name.

I knew this would be more than just a validation of his existence. This meeting was going to result in either a thumbs up or thumbs way down from my BFFs.

The Comedian graciously (and likely fearfully) invited the girls over to his house for pizza and booze.

About half an hour before their arrival (and a few hours after finally peeling ourselves out of the bedroom), we waited on the living room couch. We were seated side by side, holding hands, looking out the window.

"I feel like we're waiting for our parents to come home."

"Are you nervous?"

"Yes! These are my very best friends! If they don't like you, I'll have to break up with you."

He looked at me with wide eyes. I just looked back, not blinking. I wasn't kidding. If my BFFs did not approve, I wasn't going to waste his time or mine. They did not approve of my ex-husband, although I hadn't bothered asking them their opinion. If they had been given the opportunity to say something early on, I probably wouldn't have ended up marrying the douche bag.

Because of that, I now really believe that my friends and family can see things I can't see, or things that I've chosen to ignore.

By the time they arrived, I was ready to jump out of my own skin. I saw Blondo's van pull into the driveway and I jumped up and ran to the front door.

Tucker went insane the minute I opened the door. So after a good 10 minutes of trying to get the dog to calm down, I was able to introduce the BFFs to the BF.

And then I sent him out to pick up the pizza we had ordered for everyone.

While he was gone, I conducted a complete tour of his house. Both girls were impressed with his level of cleanliness and organization. Blondo really like his basement rec room, as it reminded her of her grandmother's house. :)

Before he got back, we sat around chatting about what I was going to do about the fact that he and I live 116KM apart. I told the girls that in my mind, I have already moved into his house and am commuting to and from Toronto for work.

We then discussed what my engagement ring would look like, my wedding dress, their bridesmaid dresses and the wedding as a whole. Also we decided this would all take place in the summer of 2011.

Let's say it all together now - C.R.A.Z.Y!!!!

We stopped the insanity before he came home. I think we were talking about the structure of the house when he arrived with the pizza.

"Hi honey! I'm home!" So cute eh?

We dove straight into the pizza and popped open the bottle of wine Blondo had brought for him.

And then the interrogation began.

"We've got some questions for you, Comedian."

I started laughing. This was so awesome, my BFFs putting him right on to the hot seat.

They asked stuff like what he did for a living, about his family, why he like the Leafs so much and other general interest type stuff.

We talked and talked and ate and drank and talked and laughed and laughed.

Inevitably, the conversation turned to weddings, babies and vaginas. Because really, when you have three best girlfriends sitting around eating pizza and drinking wine, what else would you expect them to talk about?

The Comedian took it like a champ. He didn't even flinch when Jelly was describing how she told her son the difference between girls and boys. "Boys have a penis, girls don't."

"Didn't you tell him that girls have a vagina?"

"Nope. And I want to keep it that way for now. He's only 5!"

As much fun as vagina talk is, eventually it was time for my girls to get back to their respective families.

Blondo gave The Comedian a big hug on the way out. I was sooooooo happy to see that. I don't think Blondo ever hugged my ex husband the entire time we were together.

After they left, we did a post mortem on the evening.

"Did they like me?"

"Oh yeah. Totally. They wouldn't have stayed as long as they did. And they would have been giving me all sorts of signals that they didn't like you."

While we were discussing, a BBM message came in from Blondo. It was just one word.

"Cute"

I showed it to him.

"See? They loved you!"

I'm sooooo happy they approved of him. Because really, when you've mentally moved in with someone, it's really hard to move out.

No comments:

Post a Comment