Thursday, August 19, 2010

The L Word

I was at dinner with my friend LP last night when we meandered on to the subject of love. Which isn't surprising seeing as I had been gushing about The Comedian. She wondered if he'd told me he loved me yet.

"Not yet. Although he keeps saying stuff like he wants to kiss me good night and good morning every day for the rest of his life."

"He might as well just say it then!"

"I KNOW!"

She then told me a story of a time when a boyfriend first told her he loved her. It was so romantic. They had been drudging through knee deep snow, freezing their butts off. They had been walking in silence for a while as both were concentrating on just putting one foot in front of the other. He suddenly stopped, placed his hands on her shoulders and looked her in the eye and said, "I love you. I just wanted to make sure you know that." And then they continued on in the snow to their destination. Awwww!!!

I thought for a moment of a time when I heard those three words for the first time. And I could not come up with one example. I couldn't even remember how my ex-husband told me he loved me for the first time.

And come to think of it, I'm pretty certain it was always me saying it first. So I think I've heard, "I love you too" but not just "I love you".

I also remember a time I told a guy I loved him after we were in a car accident together and he didn't say anything. Not even thanks. Just silence. And then we broke up about a week later.

If - okay when - The Comedian tells me he loves me for the first time, I will have to absorb every last detail of that moment. And of course, I will blog about it so at least I will have some record of it down the road when I am sitting at dinner with a friend talking about love.

No comments:

Post a Comment