Saturday, May 22, 2010

Gah

I'm losing faith in the human race more and more with each passing day.

I tried organizing a mini surprise graduation for my student who was diagnosed with, but totally defeated, a brain tumour. He was still in the hospital when the rest of his class graduated. Yesterday was the first time I'd seen him since before his surgery.

I emailed all his classmates last week and asked them to join in celebrating his achievements - graduating and kicking the tumour's ass.

And guess how many well wishers showed up?

NONE.

Not one single person in his class bothered to come. Yes, there are a handful who left right after grad to go back to their home province or country. But for the rest of them, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE.

He was so heart broken that none of his mates were there. I had wrangled up all the current students to attend the presentation. But it just wasn't the same.

Afterwards I took him and his mother out for lunch, took some pictures and chatted about when he'd be coming back to retake some of the courses that had been interrupted when he'd gone into the hospital. Pending the doctor's okay, he'll be back in class as early as next month.

A few hours after he'd left, three of his former classmates showed up to the office. They had the gall to ask if they'd missed the presentation. I let them have it with both barrels and yelled at them. They were so ashamed they didn't say anything as they turned and walked back out.

Douches.

I really hope each one of them has something horrible happen and no one shows up to help them out.

What is it going to take for people to really get what is important in life? I think the answer is nothing short of the Apocalypse. And that really makes me fucking sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment