Tuesday, October 5, 2010

BOOM

Over the last week and a half, I've been dealing with a family crisis. My father decided it would be a good idea to welcome in a homeless woman to help her "get back on her feet". This woman is a known drug user and prostitute. But somehow she managed to convince my kind-hearted father she is simply misunderstood.

I cannot describe to you the shit storm this has stirred up between my father, myself, my brothers and all our significant others.

My father is mad at all of us for questioning his judgement. Seriously Dad? SERIOUSLY?!

My brothers are mad at me for going immediately to red alert upon learning of this. Seriously Brothers? SERIOUSLY?!

My brothers' significant others are mad at my brothers for not going immediately to red alert. Good girls!

And The Comedian has been my rock in all of this. He has been kind, supportive and completely calm through out. I'm seriously shocked he has not broken up with me at this point after witnessing a screaming match between me and one of my brothers on Sunday night.

Today I decided to throw down the gauntlet to end this insanity once and for all. I sent a lengthy email copying everyone on it making it clear to my father that if he does not tell this woman to leave immediately, I will cut him out of my life forever. I told him he had to choose, and if he chose her, that would be the end of our relationship.

The email was mean and nasty and 100% an ultimatum. But I would rather deal with the fall out from that than having to deal with the police phoning me to tell me they've recovered my father's body because that woman's pimp came by looking for his money and drugs.

The email worked. Within two hours, my father sent an email confirming the woman is now gone. I'm not sure how mad he really is at me because he signed the email "Love, Dad" as he always does in every email he's ever sent to me.

However my brothers hate me now and sent me separate emails to that effect. According to both of them, I'm a horrible person for forcing my father into a corner, my email was out of line and completely uncalled for and I should apologize immediately.

But I'm not going to. Because I knew it would be the only way to get through to my father. I'm just glad he didn't prove me wrong because I know how stubborn he can be. I was only 99% sure he'd pick me over that woman.

I don't think we'll be having Thanksgiving dinner as a family this weekend....

No comments:

Post a Comment