Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cold Turkey

On Saturday night we had our family Thanksgiving dinner at my little brother and girlfriend's new house.

My Dad hasn't spoken to me since the email I sent him last week. I knew I would be met with a less than friendly reception, however I didn't anticipate he would just flat out ignore me. He ignored my sister-in-law as well, who had taken my side in the battle.

I forced him into a hug when he arrived, after which he plunked himself down on the arm chair, away from the rest of us.

The rest of us were drinking, nibbling on snacks and chatting before dinner. He just sat there, silent.

At dinner, I made sure to sit beside him so that I could force him into a conversation. And yeah, he gave me two word answers to everything I asked him. He should have saved himself the effort of forming actual words and just grunted angrily at me.

The minute dessert was finished, he got up to leave. I again, forced him into a hug. He shook The Comedian's hand and said it was nice to see him. At least his anger didn't extend on to my boyfriend by association.

I hope my Dad gets over this sooner rather than later. I know what I did was awful, but I had no choice. His safety was my number one concern. I hope he knows I did it out of love for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment