Saturday, October 9, 2010

Another Angel

I just received the devastating news of the passing of Jelly's mother.

She was like a second mother to me. I've called her "Mommy" since high school. She loved me as if I were one of her own.

She loved music. That's one of the things we bonded over. She took me to many musicals in high school. One of my favourite memories was seeing "Forever Plaid" with her at Art Park in Lewiston, NY. I was actually brought on to the stage at one point in the show and joined the cast for a rendition of "Heart and Soul". She was so proud of me!

She loved to travel. She went to Japan around the time I was graduating from high school. I remember sitting around the kitchen table, practicing conversational Japanese with her. We learned how to ask where the bathroom is and how to order beer. She brought me back these, which I have kept to this day.


She has been suffering from MS since the late eighties. She was diagnosed as chronic progressive. She eventually ended up in a wheelchair and later in a nursing home.

I can't remember when it was that I saw her last. I think it was in the spring of this year. Jelly and I went to see her at the nursing home.

We sat around and talked and ate chocolate and then took her outside to the courtyard. We sat under the gazebo and talked and laughed and then she got tired. We wheeled her back to her room and made sure to get her what she needed before we left.

I gave her a hug and a kiss and told her she looked great.

"Bye Mommy, see you soon!"

"See you soon Paprika!"

I never got around to visiting again. And I am so heart broken that I didn't.

The worst part of this story was that Jelly was in Florida when her mom passed away. This was the first vacation she's ever taken with her husband and kids. And I know one of the reasons it took until now for them to take a vacation is because Jelly had to be around to take care of her mother. Jelly has been her mother's primary care giver for the better part of Jelly's adult life.

I wish I could transport myself to Jelly's side, scoop her up, and tuck her inside my heart to protect her.

There isn't going to be a formal funeral as she didn't want everyone to stand around crying over her. She's already been cremated and her ashes will be interred by the family on Tuesday. There will be a memorial service at the church she used to attend in our hometown on Saturday October 16th. My family, The Comedian, Blondo and I will all of course be there.

I think she's up in heaven hanging out with my mom now. They are probably singing songs together and watching over me and Jelly.

RIP JRS. Sweet dreams. xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment