Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Wall

I am getting really fed up with Facebook. I can't figure out which I hate more - people deleting me for no obvious reason, or people putting me on a limited profile.

If you don't want me to have access to your page, then DON'T ADD ME. Don't request to be my friend in the first place. Or deny my friend request. I won't take it personally. I really take it personally when someone gives me access and then randomly takes it away.

Facebook is a networking tool. So when you put me on a limited profile, I am unable to interact with you. SO WHAT'S THE POINT? Might as well just delete me.

For instance, this morning I tried to leave a birthday greeting on the wall of a former colleague of mine. I've written on her wall many times in the past wishing her happy birthday or congratulating her on the birth of her daughter. And this morning, I discovered she no longer has a wall. 99% of the time when someone's wall disappears, it's because they've placed you on a limited profile. So WTF? Why did she do that? What has changed since last year?

There are only a handful of people that I've banned from my page. And I just don't delete them, I block their asses. And the thing is, they know it's coming. It's not just some random restriction or mysterious deletion. Boy, Butterfly, my ex-husband and the girl with whom I went to Oz. They are all deleted and blocked. I'm sure they're not sitting around wondering what happened.

There are lots of people who are my friends on Facebook with whom I don't have regular interaction. But does that mean they should be deleted? Personally, I don't think so. Facebook is like a living phone book. Just because I don't use all of the numbers doesn't mean I should be ripping those pages out.

I would really rather have someone say to my face, "I think you suck and I want to have nothing more to do with you" and then restricting/deleting me rather than me discovering it when I go to wish them happy birthday.

Being straight up about it would just make things so much easier than me sitting around wondering what I did. And I actually do care if I've done something to offend or hurt another person. I don't want to do that. I don't want to be that person going around being a huge jerk and then not taking responsibility.

I've never claimed to be a perfect person. I have many flaws and I have made many mistakes in my life. But I am aware of my actions and I understand what I do and say could have a negative impact on someone. And if that happens, I'd at least like the opportunity to straighten things out and apologize if necessary.

And seriously, if you don't want people to know stuff about you, then DON'T PUT IT ON THE INTERNET. I know I write this blog semi-anonymously so that may sound a bit hypocritical coming from me. But I do that more to protect the people I'm writing about rather than myself. For those of you who know me in real life, you know I rarely hold back anything when it comes to my life.

Anyone I add to my Facebook gets full access. I put it all out there because I don't say or do anything online that I wouldn't already say or do in real life. Now I know not everyone likes to put things out there the way I do. For those who don't, just don't add me at all.

2 comments:

  1. Craziness. You should go get a hot glue gun and glue a birthday wish to her actual wall. Like of her house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That kind of cr@p annoys me to no end as well...I tend to delete folks who decide that I'm not good enough to share in their FB life.

    ReplyDelete