Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Taking a Bite

After getting shot down by Mr. David, I picked myself up and emailed Gabe, one of the guys who was in my Showcase class. I asked him if he'd be interested in performing the Paso with me. Within an hour, I received this response:

"I would be delighted to perform a Paso routine with you."

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Not only is Gabe a super nice guy and talented dancer, but he is also taking the teaching course at the studio. So at least one of us will know what we're doing. :)

Gabe and I made plans to start working on the routine after my class on Monday night.

So before that class started, Mr. David came over to where I was sitting, strapping on my dance shoes.

"The Paso eh?"

"Yup."

"That's too bad I don't know it. But why the Paso?"

"Because that's how I roll."

Later in class we were paired together again for the Mambo. I was standing in hold, trying not to roll my eyes at him. So I pasted a grin on my face.

"Why are you smiling?"

"Because I'm trying really hard to be nice to you. And it's always quite an effort."

He laughed. I guess he really thought I was kidding.

I was really happy for class to be over. David was messing up all the steps and his frame was shite. He got mad at me for back leading but come on dude, you were effing everything up. And it's on TWO DAMMIT, not on the one!!!! He clearly needs to watch Dirty Dancing...

After class, Gabe met up with me and we started working on the routine. Actually, we started working on me learning the basics in Paso. I learned several things within the first two minutes:

* Gabe is a patient person

* I am crazy to expect myself to learn a new dance and have it perfected in 5 seconds flat

* Paso is way more aggressive than Tango

* I must work on my confidence to really pull off the fierceness of the Paso

This is going to be a huge challenge for me, both physically and emotionally. But I'm glad I found someone willing to take a chance on me.

Mr. David is going to wish he had said yes once he sees the final routine.

Oh, and I'm totally getting a black leather outfit and fangs for the performance. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun! Let us know how it turns out for ya!

    ReplyDelete