Saturday, March 20, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For

My partner in Showcase class has been a pain in my butt. Well, more specifically, a pain in my arm because he is forever grabbing and twisting it.

I spoke to my instructor about him after class a few weeks ago. I was in tears because he man-handled me to the point where I yelled, "DON'T TOUCH ME".

I explained to my instructor I was in an abusive marriage not too long ago. And some of the things my dance partner would do were very similar to what my ex-husband did. Namely grabbing my arms and pulling me around against my will.

My instructor told me he would bring this up with my partner's private instructor and hopefully the issue would be resolved.

Every week I have dreaded going to Showcase class. Mr. Grabby is so totally obtuse about the fact that he HURTS me when we dance. I learned that prior to the start of this term, the other women in the class each went to the instructor and begged not to be paired with him. So being the new girl, I was unwittingly the sacrificial lamb.

I cannot count the number of times I've either thought or said that I don't want to dance with Mr. Grabby. I even confided in E that I was considering dropping the class because I hated dancing with him *that much*.

It's funny how the Universe listens when you complain enough.

At S&T class this past Wednesday, Nicole mentioned the owner of the school would again like our class to perform at the upcoming term end Showcase. Since I'd already be performing with my Showcase class (hence the name), I was all for it.

Then she told us the date of the Showcase - May 2nd.

That is the same day that I'm going to Rochester to see a matinee performance of Wicked with Amy B and my sister-in-law.

My face must have dropped to the floor because Nicole asked me if I was okay. I explained the conflict to her.

"Can you get out of it?"

"Nope. Ticket is non-refundable (Never mind this is my absolute favourite musical on Planet Earth!) and I'm the one driving to Rochester."

I was really bummed for the rest of the class. So totally bummed that I didn't even care I was partnered with Mr. David and we were doing all sorts of sexy moves. At one point I had my pelvis square on his leg for a crazy back bend (which I totally rocked, BTW).

So yesterday I had the dubious task of informing my Showcase instructor that I would in fact, not be performing in the Showcase. Which also meant that I would no longer be in the Showcase class.

Which ultimately equated to me not having to dance with Mr. Grabby anymore.

See? The Universe totally listened.

(I have since started a nightly chant of, "I want Brad Pitt to be my husband." I wonder when he'll dump Angelina? Maybe I should revise my chant to, "I want Brad Pitt to be my husband before he turns 50." And FYI, Brad is the same age as Mr. David, so it's not that crazy of an idea.)

My instructor was bummed, I was bummed, and yes even Mr. Grabby was bummed about me having to drop out.

I said goodbye to everyone in the class and just before I left, Mr. Grabby thanked me for being his partner. Awww. Okay, I can forgive him a little bit for being a jerko dancer.

I went downstairs to speak with the owner of the school so I could switch out my remaining classes to another class. I decided on Monday nights which is a Latin class that my Showcase instructor runs.

I explained the situation and how I was so totally upset that I couldn't perform. I told her how much I just loved the school and all the cool stuff like the Socials and the Ball and before I knew it, I was bawling my eyes out.

She immediately jumped up and gave me a hug.

"Don't worry honey. We love you around here. We're not letting you go anywhere."

That was so sweet. So totally warm and comforting and caring. Another reason why I love my school and the people there so much.

The reason behind my tears was because I had come so far since that first Showcase class. I worked damn hard on the choreography as it was definitely a step above my skill level. And certainly I was working hard on being patient and learning to deal with Mr. Grabby even though I really didn't want to.

I felt like I'd finally got to a point where I had a pretty good handle on the steps, and I was getting closer to not loathing my partner. Then all of a sudden, the proverbial rug got pulled out from under me. And it was my own fault because I'm the one who suggested May 2nd for our road trip to Rochester.

At any rate, come Monday I will be in a new class. Maybe there will be a new Mr. David for me to drool over.

I think I'll have to go revise my chant again.

2 comments:

  1. You are funny. I enjoyed reading this post. Sorry for the bruises and the frustration but yes, the universe answers and sometimes we get what we ask for and other times we get something else but we can expect something.
    Enjoy your trip. You will have another showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post was insightful and hilarious too! glad you got out of dancing with mr. grabby.

    ReplyDelete