Monday, March 15, 2010

The Blind Side

It's been just about a year since I last spoke with Faux Beau. He "broke up" with me after I was laid off last year. I thought it was super shitty timing seeing as I had just lost my job. Talk about kicking someone when they are down.

I know the reason he broke up with me is because I didn't want him to be my Vrai Beau. It's a long and complicated story but the short of it is that he had his chance with me and blew it. And I wasn't gonna be his second or third or last-woman-on-earth-so-I-might-as-well choice.

He figured he could just come to me whenever it suited him and I'd be so grateful he wanted to be my boyfriend that I would drop to my knees and weep with gratitude. Um, yeah. Je pense que non. (For my American friends, that translates into "I don't think so.")

He and I live in the same low-rise apartment building. In fact, he lives in the apartment directly below me, two floors down. Our parking spots are right next to each other. And the interesting thing is I have not seen him once in almost 12 months.

Until this morning.

I was running late after having slept in (damn time change!) and I was rushing out the side entrance of the building. I noticed him walking just ahead of me, across the street.

I started to panic until I remembered he is blind in his right eye. So he wouldn't have seen me coming out of the building as I was to his right.

I'm really glad we didn't have an awkward encounter. Because I'm not very good at being polite with people who have acted like total douche bags.

At any rate, as small as the world can be sometimes, Faux Beau and I are seemingly living worlds apart. And that is just fine by me.

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel when someone thinks that you should be so proud to be someone's girlfriend. I have gotten to the point where I say "Well, ok." and I keep it moving. No time or breath to waste on a jerk. Believe me, I've done my fair share of wasting time on worthless guys.

    ReplyDelete