Friday, February 19, 2010

It's In Me To Give

I donated blood last night. I donated once in December and before that, back in '07. The long hiatus was not by choice. I kept getting tattoos and then travelling to places with a high risk of malaria. (Hello Dominican Republic, WTF?) So I'm finally back on the good list, so to speak.

I'm a faster than average donor. My best time was last night - 6 minutes flat! There were two guys who had started before I did, and I was finished before them. Ha! Take that boys!

My blood was especially eager to leave me yesterday. When the nurse pricked my finger for the iron test, it came shooting out so fast it actually splashed! Lucky for her, she was sitting behind a plastic shield.

After I was finished the actual donation, blood just kept pouring out of the puncture site. It was looking like a bit of a massacre. The nurse had to change my bandage, and then wrap a tensor band around my arm to maintain the pressure. That's the first time I've ever had that happen. Weird.

When I got home, the season premiere of LA Ink was on. And that immediately triggered the itch for another tattoo! GAH! I've got two designs I've been working on that I really want.

I have to hold off on the ink until at least June so I can donate two more times. I signed up to be a lifetime donor, which means I promise to donate blood at least 4 times per year. Last night was #2, and my next appointment is scheduled for April. Which means I need one more donation after April and I'll have kept my promise.

I just have to keep my Dad and Anne Shirley at the front of my thoughts whenever the itch for a tattoo flares up. Both of them have been saved by blood transfusions. And it would have been a shame if their type hadn't been available because the would-be donor had gone for a tattoo instead of a donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment